By Fredrick P. Niemann, Esq. of Hanlon Niemann, a Freehold, NJ Elder Care Attorney
If you are considering hiring a home health aide, may I suggest you use the following questions to interview candidates for the position?
Mr. or Ms. ?
- Can you provide me with your full name, address, phone number, social security number and current photo ID so that I can run a background, including credit, check? (If interviewing an agency candidate, request contact information only.)
- Can you (your agency) provide me with copies of current documentation related to personal insurance, bonding, workers’ compensation, and current health status (TB test, immunizations, etc.).
- Can you (your agency) show or provide me with current documentation related to specific services and assistance (dementia care, CPR, etc.) you are trained/certified to provide?
- Tell me about your experience as an in-home aide – how long you have been providing care, previous work situations, etc.
- Can you (your agency) provide me with references related to past clients and employers.
- Why did you leave your last position? (If they have not left this position, ask how they plan on coordinating schedules.)
- What are your expectations if I hire you?
- What hours and days will you be available?
- What hourly rate do you expect, and how do you expect to be paid?
- How do you like to get feedback and suggestions?
- What do you like and dislike about home care?
- Situation-specific questions related to specific issues, such as ability to prepare culturally appropriate foods or competency in the older person’s language, should also be asked.
To discuss your NJ elder care matter, please contact Fredrick P. Niemann, Esq. toll-free at (855) 376-5291 or email him at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please ask us about our video conferencing consultations if you are unable to come to our office.